Stepping into the Darkness

"You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness, then the light will appear and show you the way before you."

Friday, April 15, 2016

Good-byes and Hello's



"Before we were born, we lived in a family with our exalted and eternal Heavenly Father. He ordained a plan that enables us to advance and progress to become like Him. He did it out of love for us. The purpose of the plan was to allow us the privilege of living forever as our Heavenly Father lives. This gospel plan offered us a life of mortality in which we would be tested. A promise was given that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, if we obeyed the laws and priesthood ordinances of the gospel, we would have eternal life, the greatest of all His gifts.
Eternal life is that kind of life which God our Eternal Father lives. God has said that His purpose is “to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39)." (Henry B. Eyring, General Conference, April 2016)
The day before Easter this year, we buried my mother.  I was the most perfect funeral and graveside service I could imagine for her.  Everything she had been so explicit about happening - we fulfilled her wishes to the letter.  It was a sad time, because we all loved her and will miss her here with us.  But I am so grateful for the knowledge that she lives on in Spirit and that I will someday see her again. You see, I believe in that beautiful afterlife where she is - free of pain, whole and surrounded by those she knew and loved here - her parents, her brothers and so many others.
One of the things Mom wanted was a bagpiper to play "Amazing Grace" at her graveside.  We were so blessed to find a wonderful young man who gave up his Saturday of play to come and stand in the hot Arizona sun and play for my mother.  I've thought about the words to that song often these last couple of weeks - 
"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, 
That saved a soul like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.
Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
a life of joy and peace.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, 
That saved a soul like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

1 comment: