Stepping into the Darkness

"You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness, then the light will appear and show you the way before you."

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

In late October we finally got an offer on the house. They were offering full asking price. We started the process, and they had the home inspection done. The inspector noted some mold in the basement and problems with the added garage. The people withdrew their offer, and knowing that the mention of mold would be a problem for people, I decided I needed to fly back to Alaska to see for myself what the issues were and get them addressed. We had withdrew funds from our retirement fund to take care of any costs. I started looking at what was needed and lining up the qualified people to deal with it.

One of the issues was with a change in the code required several new circuit breakers. I called an electrical company and scheduled the work while I was there. The electrician showed up and went to work. As he was completing the work and testing the circuits. He found one that would always trip so he went to work trying to figure out what the problem was. After about an hour and a half and with every outlet and light switch in the kitchen and dining room dismantled, he concluded that we had a bad wire and he would need to cut an opening in the drywall, up the wall, across the kitchen ceiling and down the wall on the other side. This would give access for the new wire and should solve the problem.

After listening to him tell me what we needed to do, and that I would have to take care of the drywall repairs, I had a scripture come to mind, that talked about the spirit giving us what to ask for in our prayers, and I felt a need to pray then. I went in the other room, offered up a pray, and then returned. A couple of minutes later, the electrician came up from the basement, and said that as he was starting to work, he felt he should go check the wiring of the new breakers before he started to cut the dry wall.

When he inspected the panel, he noticed one of the wires connected to that breaker was the wrong one. He tracked down the right one, changed that out, and everything worked fine. The problem was solved, and I didn’t have to repair any dry wall.

I can’t fault the electrician, as I know I have made mistakes when dealing with complex problems like the one presented by the vast array of wires in the electrical panel, but I am so grateful for a Father in Heaven, who is willing to look out after me, even for something this small when compared to the grand scheme of things. I am thankful for parents and teachers who taught me to listen to the spirit and follow those promptings, and for the electrician who followed them as well.


Before arriving in Alaska, we had received another offer on the house. When we started this process back in April, I had the impression that there was a family coming who needed this house. Throughout the process, it seemed that the house was invisible, lots of people looked and were not seeing what was there. We had also been pretty adamant that we were not interested in early occupancy. When this offer came in, we felt strongly that this was the family. The offer came with a picture of the family and a request to be able to occupy the home about 10 days later. The spirit whispered strongly that this was what needed to happen, so 10 days later, they moved in, grateful for an answer to their prayers. They are not LDS, but it was such a great experience watching the Lord answer their prayers, and being able to be a part of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment